size update

We went to the doctor on Wednesday, and Noah weighed in at 20 lb 14 oz, and he is 30 inches tall.  Two and a half feet!  He was struggling a lot as the nurse checked his height, so I might have doubted it except this still puts him in the 90th percentile for height, which is about where he was last time, too.  He’s a tall guy in a room full of babies. However, he looks ridiculously short when he stands next to the fridge, and we can still open the door over his head.  He stands so well now that he looks like a real person, just impossibly short.

Our other big news is that the Prius arrived on Wednesday, so we picked it up that night.  It’s really neat to drive- very high tech and different.  I’m still trying to figure out how to maximize the fuel efficiency- using your driving style to charge the batteries the most takes some practice.  We left Noah at his grandparents when we went to get the car, which was a good thing- counting the drive there and back, waiting on hold with the insurance office for 25 minutes, and then waiting for the finance officer at the dealership, it took 3 hours.  Noah was a little fussy, and missing us by the time we got back,  but he definitely had more fun playing than hanging out in the dealership.  We spent the night up there after all that, but we didn’t get to sleep any earlier because Noah was so charged up and he wouldn’t settle down.  It’s been raining for 3 days, and so we haven’t wanted to put him to sleep by walking him outside, and it’s really hard to change things up for him when he expects that now.

Naoh’s been getting babysat quite a bit lately because I joined the Y.  It’s the only gym in the area that offered free babysitting, so I’d been planning to join for a while, but I needed a car to get to it.  So far, it hasn’t gone so great for him.  The first 2 times I went, I tried to do hour-long classes, and he was ok for about 20-30 minutes, but then he cried so much that they had to come get me.  On Thursday, I told them I would be back in half an hour, and I just went on the cardio machines, and when I walked in he was crying with one of the sitters in a rocking chair in the back, and they said at once, “It’s ok, here’s Mom”.  I think he will get used to it eventually- there’s all kinds of things to play with there, and other kids, and pretty ladies in red shirts, so he should have fun, but he’s having trouble right now.  After only 3 visits, the babysitting manager definitely knows us already.



  1. Jennifer said,

    October 20, 2009 at 3:22 pm

    Aw… yay for giant babies! And, yay for new cars! Not yay for babysitting difficulties, though… hopefully he’ll adapt soon. Is he getting any better at sleeping though the night yet?

    • variableclouds said,

      October 20, 2009 at 8:45 pm

      He’s been doing well this past week- he goes down about 8:30 or so, then wakes up around 10:30 and we take him into our bed, and he wakes up once in the middle of the night, then starts to wake up around 6, and nurses and sleeps until 7 or 7:30. So it’s really only waking me up once.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: